Monday 19 September 2011

Steve Reich - Phases (5 CDs)

* * * * *
I am adding some classical content to this blog, mainly because it seemed like a fun idea.  I have hundreds of classical CDs, many of which have since been re-issued in cheap boxsets.  Frankly, I have enough classical CDs to last me a lifetime.  So reviewing some of them here might stimulate my interest in my existing collection, rather than continually lusting after new releases.




This 5 CD boxset is available at a very reasonable price.  I used to own a CD of "Different Trains"/"Electric Counterpoint" - the same recordings as featured here.  I sold it a few years ago on Amazon Marketplace.  Truth told, I don't like listening to "Different Trains" as the subject matter is so heavy.  So it was great to get this set which features the same recording of "Electric Counterpoint" as played by Pat Metheney, and so many other treasures.  Particular favourites of mine at the moment are "Music For 18 Musicians", "Tehillim" and "The Desert Music".  However, my favourites do change and it's all good stuff here in impeccable performances, many featuring the composer himself.



Presentation is good, too.  A slipcase holds 5 digipacks and a nice booklet of photos, lyrics, an essay and recording details.

If you don't know Reich at all his music is heavily repetitive and hypnotic.  There is plenty to hear on YouTube such as:




Treat yourself to this set as it is a supreme bargain.

No comments: