Sunday 1 January 2012

Dr. Feelgood - Going Back Home (CD & DVD)

* * * *

When I saw this release listed, I just knew I had to get a copy.  This is Dr. Feelgood's stunning "Stupidity" live album plus bonus tracks such as the 7" that accompanied early copies of the LP.  All together, 24 live tracks on one CD!  All the early Feelgood classics are here: "Back In The Night", "Roxette", "She Does It Right" and all those prime R'nB classics they covered.  Moreover, there is a 9-song DVD filmed at the same 1975 Southend Kursaal show that most of the CD was recorded at. The DVD is PAL format, All Regions and there is an insert with photo memorabilia.




So why have I given it only 4 stars?  Well, I have to admit I find the sound of the CD a little too clean - it lacks the ambiance of a good vinyl copy of the album.  I was surprised by this, but I think the same applies to the DVD.  Here the super clean audio doesn't quite gel with the grainy '70s footage.  So by all means get a copy, it's a bargain, but perhaps feed it through a valve amp for a dirtier sound!  

No comments: