Monday 1 April 2013

The Black Angels - "Indigo Meadow"

*****

A day trip to Marlborough allowed me to have a good look around outstanding record shop "Sound Knowledge."  Of course, I had to buy something, so I plumped for "Indigo Meadow," the new album by The Black Angels. It's psychedelia. American, retro, 60s-ish. I adore it. I can hear all those great Summer Of Love sounds, plus the 13th Floor Elevators, the Doors, maybe even the B-52s!

The songs are quite poppy and surprisingly short.  There are 13 tracks here, yet the total playing time is around 46 minutes. Curiously, I could have sworn that the songs and album were longer. I'm taking this as a good sign; that the album is satisfying. 

Lead release "Don't Play With Guns" is here and still sounding damn fine. It could almost be a hit, such is the pop sensibility only partially hidden by the grungy psychedelic veneer. All the tunes are strong; there are no duds here at all. Of particular interest to me is the track "I Hear Colors (Chromaesthesia)" which covers a topic I have been interested in ever since I discovered the works of Russian classical composer Alexander Scriabin many years ago.



My copy is the standard CD. It comes as a three-panel digipack. It's rather more substantial than the House Of Love one, with the booklet fitting nicely into one of the sleeve panels. A vinyl version is also available, and if all else fails there is the download option.

The band are touring. Keep up at http://theblackangels.com/  







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Free Slot Games in Vegas | LuckyClub.live
The most famous free slot machines are the Cleopatra, Golden Tiger, and the Monopoly. The Cleopatra is played in both luckyclub ways on the same screen, so it is possible to