Wednesday 7 December 2011

Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon

* * * * *






I'm so glad I bought a copy of this.  

I've been a fan of Eno since 1972 and those early heady days of Roxy Music.  I remember my brother asking me if there was an LP I'd like for a (Christmas or birthday) present, and I replied that I'd like "No Pussyfooting" by Fripp and Eno.  I think he bought a copy for me in London record shop where it was "filed under Eno".  He was a bit freaked out by the gatefold "mirrored room" sleeve and even more so when he heard the album!  I remember too that "A Collage Of Extracts" from it appeared on the b-side of an early Eno 7" that I still have somewhere - possibly the notorious "Seven Deadly Finns"!  I remember listening to "Pyjamarama" in a record shop in Germany.  I remember the shoddy LP pressing of "Discreet Music" I used to own.  Hard to believe all this was around 40 years ago!

Anyway, back to the disc in question.  It's pretty much all keyboard and synths of course, despite the presence of Daniel Lanois.  Brother Roger Eno is also onboard.  I was recently listening to this piece on YouTube.  I knew I had to buy a copy!  This is one of Eno's gorgeous ambient pieces.  It's just over an hour long, and was released to exploit the then fairly new CD format.  I find it incredibly relaxing and yet musically rewarding at the same time.  I've bought a couple of extra copies for Christmas presents this year!

I prefer this to the more critically acclaimed "Apollo".  If you don't know this piece, I recommend giving it a listen via YouTube or wherever.  If you do know it, chances are you may have forgotten just how good it is.  Time for a refresher! Time for a purchase!





No comments: