Saturday 3 December 2011

Sankara - Enigma EP CD

* * * * * 


Sankara is a new band featuring ex-The Reasoning keyboard/vocalist Gareth Jones and drummer Vinden Wylde.  Also onboard are two members from defunct outfit Bluehorses (about whom I know very little) - guitarist Jay MacDonald and bassist Rhayn Jooste.



To start with, I was underwhelmed by this first release, a four track EP available from Amazon and as downloads on the band's website http://www.sankara.co.uk/





But what we have here is a real grower.  Four extremely strong songs, superbly played and sung.  Why was I underwhelmed then?  Well, it's the production which is only adequate at best.  I would love to hear this material produced and/or mixed by someone like Bob Clearmountain.  For what we have here is AOR which could be absolutely huge stateside, and maybe over here in the UK too.  I am thinking Journey/Fleetwood Mac levels of popularity.  There is a pop sensibility here entirely beyond the prog roots of the band.  Gareth's voice is really distinctive and has star quality, although I do find it rather strange that his voice is used as backing vocals in addition to lead.  It creates an odd effect where perhaps female backing vocals would complement and enhance Gareth's lead.





Title track "Enigma" is piano-led and has a hypnotic hook.  It's the best song here.  Gareth's vocal is very choirboy like on this.  Rhayn's bass playing is characterful and Jay's guitars range from tasteful to commanding.  I couldn't get this tune out of my head the other day!

Second track "Exalted Star" is an altogether rockier affair.  Naturally, this stars Jay's electric playing and an  interesting solo part.  Chorus is strong and catchy.

Third song is the slower "As They Lay My Body Down".  This makes the most of Gareth's spiritual vocal style and Jay's acoustic playing.

Final track is "Full Flow" where Vinden's drums can be heard most effectively and at times the combination of Gareth's vocal and Jay's guitars reminds me of Led Zeppelin.

You can listen to the whole EP on the band's website.  Downloads are also available for purchase, but take my tip and treat yourself to the CD as the sound quality is  superior - drums, cymbals and vocals sound so much clearer.  Despite the production, I still rate this disc highly and have given it the full five stars as I think I will be playing and enjoying this for many months to come.

The band are playing Cambridge Rock Festival 2012.  A sometime haunt of The Reasoning and Panic Room, of course.  No doubt there will be other chances to catch them.  It's good to be in at the start with this band - I think they will be very popular.

No comments: