Thursday 21 June 2012

Van Der Graaf Generator - ALT


* * * * *


I really think if I was managing Van Der Graaf Generator, I'd have talked them out of releasing an all-instrumental album.  Of course, we've been here before to some extent - the instrumentals on the re-issued "Pawn Hearts", the thoroughly weird "Time Vaults", Disc 2 of "Present", etc, etc.  This new album "ALT" is surprisingly good.  I hadn't expected much, but it is challenging and rewarding, if a little bit pointless.  There is plenty of weirdness here, even without the distinctive sax of Jackson - although there is some fake sax from a synth - are they having a laugh?  Indeed, I suspect there is something arch about all of this, and that the band are having a joke at our expense, to a certain extent. It's almost as if this was released as a spoiler to the re-issued Metropolis concert, also a June release.

The CD is released on Esoteric's new sub-label Antenna.  I cannot see this being a money spinner for them.   The album is presented as a standard CD, with entertaining notes by band member Guy Evans.  He hits the nail on the head when he says that "these tracks really require you, the listener to complete them and give them life."

I can hear plenty of the influence of the frequently inconsistent Robert Fripp on Hammill's guitar. The real highlight of this album for me though is the amazing drumming of Guy Evans.  Would I rather have had a vocal album?  Yes, but this will do nicely.  Do you need to buy it?  No, you don't.  Regard this one as an optional purchase, even for hardened VDGG fans.  For all news on Hammill and Van Der Graaf, visit http://www.sofasound.com/


Two releases for fans this month...

No comments: