Tuesday 19 June 2012

Alexander Shchetynsky - Sacred Music From Ukraine

* * * * ½


This is an interesting CD.  Somehow it seems fitting to be reviewing something from Ukraine right now.  This is another Naxos release, so is available widely at a very reasonable price.  This is modern choral music, and fully deserves four and a half stars.  It hasn't got me hooked in quite the same way as sister release James Whitbourn - Luminosity which is a five star CD if I ever heard one! 


At the time of writing you can find "Requiem" from this disc on YouTube, but as it is not an official upload it may not be there forever, so I am not linking to it here.  The other pieces on this CD are "Know Yourself" and "Light To Lighten".  I think this disc is a bit of a grower, with hidden depths.  It's well worth seeking out.  I got my copy from Devizes Books...


No comments: