Sunday 7 August 2011

Panic Room - Visionary Position

* * * * *



 
Ah, Panic Room.  How I love this band.  I raved about their second release "Satellite" here. "Visionary Position" is their debut release and is almost as good.  It's definitely a 5-star album in its own right. 

I first discovered the band by checking the listings for a local music pub.  How astonishing to find a band of this quality playing such small venues.  I am sure a breakthrough must be just around the corner, so grab the chance to catch them up close and personal while you still can!  



This album has eight tracks but stretches to 65 minutes.  Only the closing track "The Dreaming" outstays its welcome, and that's due to a deliberately jokey reprise which doesn't spoil the main song.  The preceding song "I Wonder What's Keeping My True Love Tonight" is a divine trad folk classic arranged by the band and featuring some of the most engrossing acoustic guitar I've heard for a long time.  The album kicks off with the clever "Elektra City" followed by outstanding songs "Endgame", "Firefly" and the anthemic "Reborn".


There is only one version of the album, available as a CD or download from the usual suppliers or direct from the band's website at http://www.panicroom.org.uk/



No comments: