Sunday 3 July 2011

Duane Eddy - Road Trip

* * * * * 

I have to thank my friend and ex-colleague Barry for introducing me to this album.  I have always loved Duane's twangy sound which I hear echoes of in so many of my favourite records - Argus, Underwater Moonlight et al.

This new album is a revelation because it is so well recorded and produced.  It's beautiful.  I don't know who Richard Hawley is, but we have him (and his manager) to thank for masterminding this project.  All 11 tracks are instrumentals.  The album is just 40 minutes long, but that is an optimum length for this sort of album.  Of course, there is a vinyl edition.



Some of this is almost middle of the road (trip) but what a classy sound Duane gives us.  My favourite here is Track 5, the piano led "Bleaklow Air", ironically because in a lot of ways it is the track least like a classic Eddy number.  "Road Trip" itself and "The Attack Of The Duck Billed Platypus" are more uptempo and fun. 

I feel inspired by this album which is a real breath of fresh air.  Duane's guitar sounds more "alive" than ever before.  I will be getting my Squier Strat (Hank Marvin model) out and practicing a few chords!  I guess that's what it's all about.

No comments: